1 medium onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1 red bell pepper (diced)
4 cups cooked black beans (or about 3 cans, rinsed and drained)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
3-4 cups vegetable broth
Garnish/Toppings, use what you like:
Sliced green onion
Fresh lime juice
Crushed tortilla chips
Vegan sour cream
- In a soup pot over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic and red bell pepper in 1/4 cup water until softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add the cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and salt and sauté another minute or two until the spices are fragrant.
- Add black beans, tomatoes and vegetable broth. (Start with 3 cups of broth, you can add more later if you like a thinner soup). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree as much as the soup as you like (I do about 1/2). Alternately, you can carefully transfer 1/2 of the soup to a blender, purée, and add back to the pot. Add the other cup of broth if you like a thinner soup.
- Serve hot with the toppings of your choice.