The average American consumes about 12 pounds of chocolate each year, and over $75 billion is spent annually worldwide on chocolate. With all this chocolate-eating, only dark chocolate has health benefits. The secret ingredient that makes chocolate healthy is cacao. Packed with high omega’s, healthy chemicals like flavonoids and theobromine, making it a disease killing machine. It takes approximately 400 cacao beans to make one pound of chocolate.
5 Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
- Improves Heart Health
- Great for Memory
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Rich in antioxidants including vitamins, minerals and phytochemical
- Protects the body from disease
Give Dark Chocolate a try with this Dark Chocolate Almond Butter recipe! It is a fun twist on a classic!
2 cups sprouted almonds (or dry roasted almonds)
3.5 ounce dark chocolate bar, minimum 72% cacao
2 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp sea salt
coconut sugar, to taste
- In a small saucepan or double boiler, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add almonds and pulse until almonds are a fine meal. Turn on the food processor to high until the almonds begin to break down into a butter consistency.
- Add in melted chocolate mixture and sea salt and continue processing until a smooth creamy texture is achieved.
- If desiring more sweetness, add in coconut sugar one teaspoon at a time.
- Pour in jars and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
Recipe and photo from https://draxe.com/recipe/dark-chocolate-almond-butter/